About the Project
IYMP is a communal, relationship-based afterschool healthy living program. It is delivered by Indigenous high school students for elementary school children. IYMP promotes wholistic wellness, prevents type 2 diabetes, and promotes positive mental health including Mino-Bimaadiziwin/Mino Pimatisiwin (the way of the good life). IYMP is grounded in an Indigenous model of resilience (the Circle of Courage), and Indigenous values (the Four 4Rs). IYMP builds on the strengths, energy, and talents of youth and communities.
IYMP has been rippling across Canada and throughout Alberta in partnership with Ever Active Schools and is currently offered in over 50 communities (over 35 in Alberta).
For more information about this project contact: email@example.com
Helpful resources for this project include:
- IYMP Mentor Manual (PDF)
- IYMP 3rd National Gathering Report (PDF)
- IYMP 2017 Western Door Report (PDF)
- IYMP Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6QmkbF1yRg
- Ever Active School Website Link: https://everactive.org/projects/resilient-schools/iymp/
- Best Practices Portal: https://cbpp-pcpe.phac-aspc.gc.ca/aboriginalwtt/aboriginal-youth-mentorship-program-aymp/
- Alberta Healthy School Community Wellness Fund Webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=UNgQ0AhC0CI&feature=emb_title
- Alberta Mentoring Partnership Webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4H1TqxkFE
- Lopresti, S., Willows, N., Storey, K.E., McHugh, T.L., IYMP National Team. (Submitted March 2020). Indigenous Youth Mentorship Program: A Descriptive Case Study of Implementation in Alberta, Canada. Rural and Remote Health.
- Lopresti, S., Willows, N., Storey, K.E., McHugh, T.L., IYMP National Team. (Submitted February 2020). Indigenous Youth Mentorship Program: essential characteristics of a Canadian multi-site community-university partnership with Indigenous communities. HPI International.
- Lopresti, S., Willows, N., Storey, K.E., McHugh T.L., IYMP National Team. (Submitted January 2020). Indigenous Youth Mentorship Program: key implementation characteristics of a school peer mentorship program in Canada. HPI International.
- Health Matters. Global Edmonton, June 30, 2020. https://globalnews.ca/video/7127849/health-matters-june-30
- HEROES Magazine (Pages 20-24): https://issuu.com/stollerykids/docs/heroes-sp19-digital/20
- Indigenous Youth Mentorship Program. CBC Edmonton AM with Mark Connolly, December 7, 2018. https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/edmonton-am/segment/15645645
- How youth-led mentorship is trying to break the cycle of diabetes among Indigenous children. StarMetro Edmonton, December 2, 2018. https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/2018/11/26/how-youth-led-mentorship-is-trying-to-break-the-cycle-of-diabetes-among-indigenous-children.html
- Researcher creates path to holistic wellness through inspired and empowered youth. HEALTH e-news, September 11, 2018. https://www.ualberta.ca/public-health/news/2018/september/researcher-creates-paths-to-holistic-wellness-through-inspired-and-empowered-youth.html
- $5-million gift enhances children’s health research in Alberta. folio, September 10, 2018. https://www.folio.ca/5-million-gift-enhances-childrens-health-research-in-alberta/